The Orono Community Education Aquatics Program serves youth, adults and seniors.
Orono Education Link – Door E24
705 N Old Crystal Bay Road
Long Lake, MN 55356
Directions from Highway 12
- Turn North onto Old Crystal Bay Road
- Turn into the 4th driveway on the left
- Enter through the doors that say Education Link above them
- In the building, take a right and the pool is on the
- Swim Lessons
- Open Swim
- Adult Aquatic Programs
- Metro Marlins Swim Team
- Pool Rules
- Professional Certifications
Red Cross Swim Lessons
Swimming lessons fill very quickly! Please sign your child up for a class, even if it is full. Your child will be put on a waitlist. If other classes are canceled, we will make every effort to make an additional class to fit waitlisted swimmers into the program.
Swim Lessons Descriptions
- Parent & Child Class (6 months - Age 2)
- Enjoy swimming with your child while building swimming readiness by emphasizing fun and safety in the water. Parent/adult must accompany child in the water. Children not potty trained should wear swim diapers or plastic diaper covers.
- Preschool Level 1
- For inexperienced or cautious swimmers. Focus will be on gaining comfort in the water, floating on front and back, blowing bubbles and submerging. Parent/guardian may accompany child in the water.
- Preschool Level 2
- For the swimmer who is comfortable voluntarily submerging. Focus will be on creating greater independence floating and swimming. Parent/guardian may accompany child in the water.
- Preschool Level 3
- For the swimmer who is floating, submerging and swimming independently. Work to gain independence and build endurance in all skills. Parent/guardian may accompany child in the water.
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills
- Tentative in and around water, uncomfortable submerging head, and not yet floating independently.
- Level 2: Fundamental Aquatics Skills
- Comfortable in the water, submerges head, floats independently.
- Level 3: Stroke Development
- Comfortable in deep water, swims at least 5 yards on front with a coordinated stroke independently, swims at least 5 yards on back with a coordinated stroke independently.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement
- Comfortable in deep water, swims at least 15 yards coordinated: front crawl, back crawl and knows dolphin kick and breaststroke kick.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement
- Comfortable in deep water, swims at least 25 yards of the following strokes: front crawl, back crawl and elementary backstroke. Swims 15 yards coordinated of the following strokes: breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly.
- Level 6: Swimming & Skill Proficiency
- Comfortable in deep water, swims at least 25 yards of the following strokes: front crawl, back crawl, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly.
- Private Swim Lessons
- $28/half hour or $23/half hour (semi-private)
- Limited availability. Not offered year-round.
Join us for Open Swim at the Orono Pool! For adults and children. Payment taken at the pool (cash or check). No need to pre-register.
See the monthly pool schedule linked above for the most up-to-date Open Swim times.
- $4/person or $12/family (up to 5 immediate family members)
- Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult in the facility.
- Orono Activities Center individual membership = 1 free admission
- Orono Activities Center family membership = free admission for all immediate family members (up to 5)
- Two lap lanes will be available during open swim.
Adults are invited to join us at the pool for Lap Swim or Masters Swim.
Aquatic Fitness Programs are free for Orono Activities Center members.
Fitness Punch Card
Punch cards can be purchased at the Community Education office Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, directly at the pool with cash or check, or online at www.oronocommunityed.com.
Punch Card Prices
|Pass Type||Adult Price||62+ Price|
|Jan. - Apr. Unlimited||$135||$120|
Open to ages 7 - 18
Head Coach: Mike Wood
The Metro Marlins Swim Team is a member team of USA Swimming. The program includes conditioning, stroke technique and swim meets against other Minnesota swim teams. Anyone interested in competitive swimming is invited to try out. All swimmers must be able to swim the following without stopping: 25 yards of front crawl with side breathing, 25 yards of backstroke, and passed Red Cross Learn to Swim Level 4. Our team is divided into four levels: Red, White, Blue and Silver. All levels are encouraged to join USA Swimming and compete at meets.
Swimmers are evaluated for team placement based on performance and the final decision of the head coach.
For more information:
General Pool Rules
Remove shoes before entering pool area (swim shoes and flip flops are o.k. if clean)
Everyone must shower before entering the pool
No food or drink in pool area or locker rooms
No gum allowed while in the pool
No head first entry into shallow water
Remove bandages before entering the water
Stairs and ladders are for entering and exiting the pool
No glass containers in the pool area
No swimming under the diving board
WALK at all times
Children under 50 inches of height must be accompanied by an adult in the water (within arm’s reach) 100% of the time (a swim test may be given at lifeguard’s discretion)
School-age children must use appropriate locker rooms
Swim diapers must be used for children who are not potty trained
Follow lifeguard instructions at all times
Minnesota Health Code
NO person with or suspected of having a communicable disease, which could be transmitted through use of the pool shall work at or use any public pool.
A person with a considerable area of exposed tissue, open blister, or cuts must be warned that these may become infected and should be advised not to use the pool.
Any person using a public pool must take a cleansing shower before entering the pool and must re-shower after using the toilet before reentering the water.
Spitting, spouting water from the mouth and blowing your nose in the pool is prohibited.
No running, boisterous or rough play, except supervised water sports, is permitted in the pool, dressing rooms or shower rooms, on runways, or on diving boards or platforms.
Glassware and similar materials with a tendency to shatter on impact is not allowed in the pool area.
Diving is only permitted in designated areas.
Domestic animals are not permitted in the pool, showers, or dressing rooms.
Diving Board and Jumping Station Rules
Only one person may jump or dive at a time
No running on the deck or to the board to jump
Swim to the appropriate ladder- diving board: far corner ladder, jumping station: straight across to ladder near red lane line
The next person may jump after the first person reaches the ladder
Only one bounce
No googles on the diving board. Googles may be used at the jumping station
Jump straight off, not to the sides
No flips, spins, twists, anything backwards, or flops of any kind
You must be able to swim to the ladder independently
Open Swim Policies
No snorkels or masks may be used during open swim
No inflatable devices may be used
Do not slap pool noodles on the water or others swimmers
Keep mouths off of pool noodles and play balls
No dodge ball or throwing balls at others
Only Coast Guard-approved life jackets are allowed and only when an adult (16 years or older) is in the water and within arms reach.
Kick boards are for lap swim only
No use of the diving blocks during open swim
Lap Swim Policies
Lap swimmers must be 15 years of age or older unless prior approval has been established by the Aquatics Coordinator
During Lap/Open swim hours, lap swimmers are to limit their swimming to the designated lanes
Lap lanes are first come first serve basis. Lap swimmers are encouraged to circle swim
Lane lines may be put in upon request
Come to us for your professional aquatics training! At different times of the year we offer Lifeguarding, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, Water Safety Instructor and Water Safety Aid classes. We also offer CPR, First Aid & AED classes. Not all classes are available year-round. Please register early to allow time for equipment orders.
For a current schedule and to register go to www.oronocommunityed.com or call 952-449-8350.