Spartan Kids is a year-round, school-age child care program for students in grades K-5. The school-year hours are Monday - Friday 7 am - 5:45 pm. The program is located in Orono Intermediate School.
At Spartan Kids, we provide children opportunities to learn through a wide variety of activities such as art, music, science projects, games, writing, reading, crafts, outdoor play, practicing social skills, gym time, dramatic play and much more! There is a balance of activity options that includes large group, small group and individual choices.
Types of Care Available
- Before and After School: For families who are seeking care beyond school hours. Register for care before school, after school, or both.
- Non-School Days: For families who are currently enrolled in the program when school is in session, but also need care on non-school days.
- Summer: For families seeking care over the summer when school is not in session.
www.oronocommunityed.com → “Explore All Programs” → “Spartan Kids” → “Registration”
2023-24 School Year
Spartan Kids is currently full for the 2023 - 2024 school year.
Parents are asked to enroll their children in Spartan Kids on a consistent schedule – two to five days, for the same days each week. Changes to a schedule must be requested online (see “How do I change my child’s Spartan Kids schedule?” below for specifics). Requests will be approved on a space–available basis and there will be a $20 fee per child for each change.
Benefits of Spartan Kids
- Flexible enrollment options including before and/or after school two to five days per week.
- Extended hours (7 am – 5:45 pm) to accommodate the schedule of working parents.
- Full-day programming on non-school days and during the summer.
- Conveniently located in the Orono Intermediate School.
- Complementing and supporting your child’s school experience.
- A fun, family-like atmosphere.
- Building children’s positive self-esteem and personal skills.
- Maintaining and modeling nurturing relationships between all individuals.
- Partnering with parents in supporting each child’s development and maturation.
- Complying with all Minnesota guidelines for quality child care under the direction of the Orono School District Board of Education as a part of the Community Education Department.
Summer Child Care
Spartan Kids offers 10 weeks of summer care fun. There are Friday field trips, many great activities including swimming and weekly in-house field trips. Students enrolled in summer care take part in the Community Education Enrichment Program. The summer program includes nutritious snacks and a light breakfast. Inclusive accommodations for children with special needs.
- How much does Spartan Kids cost?
- Is tuition assistance available for Spartan Kids?
- How does billing work for Spartan Kids?
- How do I make a payment for Spartan Kids?
- How do I update my Spartan Kids auto pay?
- Is there a credit for illness or absence?
- How do I get copies of my invoices?
- Can I get year-end summaries of Spartan Kids payments?
- Where is Spartan Kids located?
- Is Spartan Kids in session on non-school days?
- What days is Spartan Kids closed?
- What is the system for pick-up and drop off?
- Do I need to notify Spartan Kids if my child will miss a regularly scheduled day?
- Will my child be provided breakfast and/or a snack at Spartan Kids?
- How does Spartan Kids handle children with food allergies?
- What if I am unable to pick up my child by 5:45 pm?
- How do I authorize new people to pick up my child from Spartan Kids?